Take an active role in emergency preparedness for your home, your neighborhood, your workplace, and your community. Learn to solve problems, improve communities, connect with others, and save lives.
Disaster preparedness training is critical to ensuring that communities are ready to respond to natural disasters such as tornados, floods, or manmade threats such as terrorism and public health threats. Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) training topics include setting up treatment areas, HAZMAT and fire safety, light search and rescue, disaster psychology, medical techniques, and more. Beyond assisting in critical emergencies, CERT members are encouraged to take an active role in ongoing emergency preparedness projects within their communities. Attendees conclude by participating in a mock disaster. Upon successful completion attendees receive a FEMA Certificate of Graduation.
What is CERT Training?
CERT is a realistic approach to emergency and disaster situations where citizens may initially be on their own and their actions can make a difference. While people will respond to others in need without the training, one goal of the CERT program is to help them do so effectively and efficiently without placing themselves in unnecessary danger. In the CERT training, students receive classroom and hands-on training in: Disaster preparedness; Fire Safety; Search and Rescue; and Disaster Medical Operations (triage, treating life threatening injuries, and basic first aid).
Why choose this specific CERT training course at Harper College?
- Harper College is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission, a commission of the North Central Association.
- Harper College is centrally located in the Northwest suburbs and has easy access from all directions.
- Attendees are taught by qualified CERT instructors in partnership with the Palatine Fire Department.
- Upon successful completion, attendees receive a FEMA Certificate of Graduation.
CERT Training is a partnership between:
- Harper College Continuing Education
- The Palatine Fire Department
- The Palatine Community Emergency Response Team (PERT)
- The Fire Rehab Team (FRT)
- The Palatine Medical Reserve Corps (PMRC)
- Auxiliary Communications (Aux-Com)
- The Disaster Animal Response Team (DART)
Be Informed. Be Prepared. Take Action.
Register for the next CERT Training course: Mon/Wed, 9/14/15 – 10/5/15, 6-9 p.m., Tuition: $59/Fees: $10 (CRN: 20709; LVM 8205-001). Register online now or call 847.925.6300.
Questions? Contact us at 847.925.6300.